The Execution Server is the Test Studio Test Runner instance of Test Studio Standalone installation or the Test Studio Run-Time Edition isntallation. An Execution Server is ready for use when configured and registered with your Scheduling Server. Because of this, first is required a successfully configured Scheduling Server.
An Execution Server (ES) could be a physical or virtual machine. Multiple Execution Servers could be connected to a single Scheduling Server (SS) to allow you to execute multiple test lists simultaneously. Differences in operating systems between the machines running the SS and the ES are allowed. Though, each ES must be running the same version of Test Studio as the SS.
Few things to consider when choosing an ES machine:
- An active and unlocked desktop session is required - you must be logged on with an Administrator account at all times, you can disconnect from the ES but not log off.
- Ensure that the Execution Server machine has sufficient space on disk to store a copy of any project you schedule for execution on that Execution Server.
- If you plan to use 'Get Latest from TFS' on scheduled test runs, make sure the Test Studio Execution Server is running under an account with access to log on to the TFS repository.
After successfully installing Test Studio Standalone or Test Studio Run-Time, run the Execution server software:
1. Click Start Menu > All Programs > Telerik > Test Execution 20XX.X > Start Execution Server.
2. In the Windows Task Bar, right click the Test Studio icon and click Show.
3. The Test Studio Test Runner dialog appears. The address for the Scheduling Server that the Execution Server is connected to appears under Execution Server Configuration. To change this address, click the Change button next to the Scheduling service address.
If there is no Change button this is how to resolve this.
4. Type the address for the Scheduling Service under Scheduling Service URI and click on Change to connect to the Scheduling Server
5. As of release R1 2018 (v.2018.1.301) the temporary folder where the project is downloaded on the execution machine for a remote(either scheduled or not) run could be configured to any other folder on the remote machine. Click the Change button next to the temp folder path and browse to the desired folder.
The Reset button will set the default temporary location on the execution machine.
It is important to allow access to the newly set location for all users.
6. As of release R1 2018 (v.2018.1.301) the Execution tab of the Test Runner contains details for the machine and OS, installed browsers and if these are calibrated, provides access to the logging on that execution machine and the ability to set the MS Edge Web Driver folder location. This will easily allow you to modify these if logged on the execution machine.
7. If the Run on start up checkbox ic checked the the Execution Server will be automatically started on Windows startup.