Embedding Reports Overview
You can add reports to diverse types of web and desktop applications. The purpose of integrating Telerik Reporting into applications is to deliver interactive reports directly to your business system. The integration allows users to view and effortlessly export the report document to various formats.
This article offers a brief overview of the most popular approaches to integrate and use Telerik Reporting.
Displaying Reports in Applications
Telerik Reporting offers numerous ways to Display Reports in Applications. You can achieve this with the Report Viewer's UI components that are tailored for a specific technology, for example:
- HTML5 MVC Report Viewer - a server-side wrapper that allows you to configure the HTML5 Viewer in MVC applications.
- HTML5 WebForms Report Viewer - a server-side wrapper that allows you to configure the HTML5 Viewer in WebForms applications.
- Angular Report Viewer - an Angular component that wraps the HTML5 Report Viewer.
- ReactJS Report Viewer - A ReactJS component that wraps the HTML5 Report Viewer.
- Blazor Report Viewer - a Blazor component that wraps the HTML5 Report Viewer.
- Native Blazor Report Viewer - a Native Blazor component built with Telerik UI for Blazor components.
- WinForms Report Viewer - a composite of standard Windows Forms controls that is suitable for WinForms and WPF projects.
- WPF Report Viewer - a composite of Telerik UI for WPF controls that is suitable for WPF and WinForms projects.
- WinUI Report Viewer - a composite of Telerik UI for WinUI desktop controls that is suitable for WinUI 3 projects.
Adding the Report Engine
There are many ways to add the report engine. You can Host the Report Engine Remotely, you can Call the Report Engine via APIs, or you can use the Telerik Report Server:
Generating Reports Remotely
Telerik Reporting Services - provide an Application Programming Interface (API) over HTTP to the report’s generation engine. It can be used by web and desktop report viewers as well as by any third-party client applications.
Generating Reports Locally
If you choose the Embedded Report Engine path, you can utilize the report engine by desktop report viewers or using dedicated APIs for each specific report engine implementation.
Telerik Report Server
Telerik Report Server is a server-based platform powered by Telerik Reporting that provides a centralized storage for reports and comprehensive reports management.
Connect the Report Viewer to the Telerik Report Server’s engine:
- Use HTML5 Report Viewer With Report Server
- Use HTML5 ASP.NET MVC Report Viewer With Report Server
- Use HTML5 ASP.NET Web Forms Report Viewer With Report Server
- Use Windows Forms Report Viewer With Report Server
- Use WPF Report Viewer With Report Server
Generating Custom Reports
Program the Report Definition section provides information for advanced report authors on how to generate reports programmatically using the provided API:
- Create Report Programmatically
- Access Report Items Programmatically
- Use Report Events
- Package Report Definition
- Serialize Report Definition in XML
If you are just starting with Telerik Reporting, look at our First Steps article.
Wondering about specific report design? You might find helpful suggestions on how to present the data in Report Structure section.
Are you into ASP.NET Core? See how to display reports in a.NET Core application for Windows, Linux, and macOS platforms here - .NET Core Support.