This article should help developers to get started with Telerik UI for Xamarin suite on Windows OS.
Please, make sure you have already read the System Requirements article before you proceed.
Depending on your scenario, you either have an existing app where you will add our components, or you have to create a new blank app.
If you already have an app, please proceed to the next step.
If you start your app from scratch, you have these options:
- Use our Project Wizard to create a project that has everything setup for you. You can start using our components right away without manually adding required assemblies and modifying solution files.
- Create a blank Xamarin.Forms app and manually setup all requirements.
We strongly recommend using the Project Wizard. If you choose this option, you can skip the next steps in this article and jump directly to the Getting Started section of any control.
If your scenario requires using the other approach, please proceed following the steps in this article.
How to create blank Xamarin.Forms app
Create new solution Xamarin.Forms Portable / Shared
Visual Studio: located at Templates > Visual C# > Mobile Apps section:
Xamarin Studio: located at C# > Mobile Apps section:
Typically, the solution will contain the following projects:
- Portable/Shared: Cross platform application library that contains the shared code and UI.
- Android: Available on all operation systems.
- WinPhone, Windows 8.1or UWP: Available only for projects created with Visual Studio.
- Available for OS X.
- If you wish to use Visual Studio as a development environment you will also need a mac machine. You can find more information how to setup your environment here: Introduction to Xamarin.iOS for Visual Studio
Make sure that your Xamarin.Forms packages are up to date.
The Android project requires multiple packages with specific versions. The Xamarin.Forms package will install most of the required packages as its dependencies. You can then go to Required Android Support Libraries article and check if you have all required files and versions.
This is how you can update the NuGet packages:
- Right-click the newly created solution and choose: Visual Studio > "Manage NuGet packages for Solution".
- From Updates >> nuget.org install the latest version of the Xamarin.Forms package.
You have two options.
You can use our Telerik NuGet package server to include our suite in your solution and/or update to the latest available version.
The hard way is to add all required assemblies manually. We have added a special article in each control section that contains information about all required assemblies. The article is called "Required Assemblies" and is located in the Getting Started section for each control.
- Calendar Required Assemblies
- Chart Required Assemblies
- DataForm Required Assemblies
- ListView Required Assemblies
- SideDrawer Required Assemblies
The final step is to register the control renderers. These articles will show you how:
- Calendar Register Renderer
- Chart Register Renderer
- DataForm Register Renderer
- ListView Register Renderer
- SideDrawer Register Renderer