Overview of Progress® Telerik® UI for ASP.NET Core
This article demonstrates how to use Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core in ASP.NET Core applications.
Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core targets the stable releases of the ASP.NET Core framework.
The target runtime is CoreCLR. The full desktop CLR is also supported.
To get started, refer to the ASP.NET Core Documentation.
The repositories below contain source code, instructions, and issue trackers for the ASP.NET project. These are immensely useful when you need to track down particular issues or behaviors.
- ASP.NET Home on GitHub.
- ASP.NET MVC main repository.
- ASP.NET MVC Announcements for important changes.
- Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core Demos and Sample Applications.
Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core requires .NET Core.
The offline sample application requires:
To download Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core:
Log in to your Telerik account.
Click Downloads in the top navigation.
Click Progress® Telerik® UI for ASP.NET Core.
In the Installation section select to download the Telerik online installer (
MSIinstaller file directly.
The Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core suite can be included in a project via NuGet without locally installing the suite on the machine. Further information on how to configure such application could be found in the Getting Started article.
Run Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core installer. The automatic setup will guide you through the rest of the installation.
The setup installs Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Progress\Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core <version>.
Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core contains the following directories:
styles—The minified CSS files and images used by the themes.
typescript—The TypeScript definitions for the Kendo combined scripts (kendo.all, kendo.dataviz, kendo.web and kendo.mobile).
vsdoc—The intellisense definitions for the Kendo combined scripts (as the above).
VSExtensions—The extensions for Visual Studio 2015 and 2017.
wrappers\aspnetcore\Binaries\AspNet.Core—Containing the .nupkg NuGet package file.
wrappers\aspnetcore\Examples\AspNet.Core\VS2015—The ASP.NET Core sample application built with Visual Studio 2015.
wrappers\aspnetcore\Examples\AspNet.Core\VS2017—The ASP.NET Core sample application built with Visual Studio 2017.
wrappers\aspnetcore\EditorTemplates\razor—The ready-to-use editor templates based on the Kendo UI widgets.
Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core comes with a sample .NET Core application available in 2 versions:
- The .NET Core application built with Visual Studio 2015.
- The .NET Core application built with Visual Studio 2017.
This sample application is an offline version of the Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core Demos.
To run the sample application:
Navigate to the installation directory of Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core.
Open the sample Visual Studio Project:
wrappers\aspnetcore\Examples\AspNet.Core\VS2015\Kendo.Mvc.Examples\Kendo.Mvc.Examples.xprojwith Visual Studio 2015; or
wrappers\aspnetcore\Examples\AspNet.Core\VS2017\Kendo.Mvc.Examples\Kendo.Mvc.Examples.xprojwith Visual Studio 2017.
CTRL+F5to build and run the application.
The sample application Visual Studio Project contains the following items:
Views—the Razor views.
wwwroot—the web app root, containing the LocalDB sample database (in the App_Data folder) and the other client resources (libraries, scripts, styles and others).
You can upgrade the version of the Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core wrappers and also switch from a trial to a developer license.
To update Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC to a new version, either:
- Upgrade with NuGet and Bower, or
- Manually replace the references and files.
Upgrade with NuGet and Bower
To upgrade the version with NuGet and Bower:
- In Visual Studio open the NuGet Package Manager on the Installed tab and click Update for the Telerik.UI.for.AspNet.Core package;
- In Visual Studio open the Bower Package Manager on the Installed tab and click Update for the kendo-ui package;
- Manually replace in the application any references pointing to the old Kendo UI resource files (scripts and styles).
- Download the desired version from the Download section of your account;
- Replace all scripts, styles, and images related to Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core with the desired version of the framework;
- Change the reference to the new Kendo.MVC dll. Verify that the dll refers to the correct ASP.NET Core version;
- Manually replace in the app any references pointing to the old Kendo UI resource files (scripts and styles).
- Before upgrading to a licensed version, delete (uninstall) the trial version from your machine. This eliminates the possibility for trial assemblies to end up in the project references or in production.
- Install the licensed Kendo UI version and follow the steps for updating the Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core version.