New to Telerik Reporting? Download free 30-day trial
The Telerik Reporting Data Source Components allow you to connect report items (e.g. Report, Table/Crosstab/List and Graph) to different types of data sources such as database or middle-tier business objects, without additional code. Note that they should not be confused with the .NET Data Sources available in the Visual Studio.
Telerik Reporting Data Source Components are intended to specify declaratively how to retrieve data for Data Items but do not contain any data themselves. Their purpose is only to specify the means how to obtain it (e.g. in the case of SqlDataSource - by executing a SQL query against a database, in the case of ObjectDataSource - by invoking a method/property of a custom business object, etc.). You can view the Data Source Components as wrappers for your data that can only read it and cannot modify it.
The Telerik Reporting engine includes the following data source objects:
- SqlDataSource – Enables you to work with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, OLE DB, ODBC, Postgres, MS Access databases, and any other database with available ADO.NET provider.
- CsvDataSource – Enables you to work with CSV data - embedded or from a local file.
- WebServiceDataSource – Enables you to work with data located on a service in JSON format.
- JsonDataSource – Enables you to work with data in JSON format - embedded or from a local file.
- ObjectDataSource – Enables you to work
with business objects or other classes and allows you to create reports that display data from the middle-tier.
For backwards compatibility reasons Telerik Reporting supports binding directly to IEnumberable/IListSource objects (incl. arrays, collections, DataSet, DataTable, DataView, DbDataAdapter). Our recommendation is to avoid them and use the ObjectDataSource component that can handle these types of data sources.
- EntityDataSource – Enables you to connect to the ADO.NET Entity Framework.
- CubeDataSource – Enables you to retrieve data from an OLAP cube using Microsoft Analysis Services.
- OpenClientDataSource – Enables you to retrieve data from OpenEdge AppServer ABL procedures.
- OpenAccessDataSource - Enables you to connect to Telerik Data Access (DISCONTINUED).