Performance Testing – Version 2011.2.928 (Standalone only)
Automated functional testing tools help you build automated tests for
your critical end-user scenarios. Once automated, these scenarios can be
run automatically to help discover any regressions. Functional
correctness of your application is one measure of quality, another quite
important one is performance testing. How responsive is my application? What are the bottlenecks in my application? How do I discover them and, most importantly, am I regressing or enhancing application performance with
each build? These are questions Test Studio answers with the Performance testing functionality.
- Performance Measuring & Benchmarking - Take a functional scenario and measure
each step's execution time. Measure not only the total time but also
Client vs. Server time. Then create benchmarks to later compare against for regression detection or goal setting.
- Historical View & Comparison - View the historical performance of your tests and compare two different
snapshots to help identify where the regressions are happening.
- In-Depth Analysis - Analyze your results by comparing Client vs. Server time. Trace your code at the step level to pinpoint the exact line of code
that is causing the biggest bottleneck.
Note: If profiling a remote server, it needs at minimum the Test Studio Run-Time edition installed on it with the Profiler Service enabled. The versions of Test Studio run locally and remotely on the server must match. Also ensure the correct inbound and outbound port is open on the remote server.
Select a Valid Automated Web Test
Which web tests make good candidates for Performance Testing?
- Specific user scenarios with little to no verification steps or timeouts.
- All variables are removed to prevent interference.
Once you designate a good candidate test, go to the Performance tab and get started:
- Gather Performance Data - Configure settings and create the Performance Run.
- History View - Visualize metrics over time, achieve performance goals, and use the Benchmark feature to establish a performance baseline.
- Overview - View data related to the server, network, and client.
- Details View - View an in-depth analysis of each test step, the entire test, or a custom interval.
- Compare View - Put two Performance Runs side by side and identify potential regressions or bottlenecks using delta threshold.