The Execution Server is an instance of Test Studio Standalone, Test Studio for Visual Studio plugin, or the Test Studio Run-Time Edition. An Execution Server is ready to use when you configure it and register it with your Scheduling Server. Because of this, you cannot configure an Execution Server without a successfully configured Scheduling Server first.
Several Execution Servers (ES) can connect to the same Scheduling Server (SS). Multiple Execution Servers allow you to execute multiple test lists simultaneously. Physical and virtual machines can be Execution Servers. You can also configure the same machine to be both a Scheduling and Execution Server. Differences in operating systems between the machines running the SS and the ES are allowed. Ensure there are no Test Studio version differences, however: every ES must be running the same version of Test Studio as the SS.
A few things to consider when choosing an ES machine:
- You must be logged on with an Administrator account at all times – you can disconnect from the ES but not log off.
- Configuring a machine as an Execution Server and connecting it to a Scheduling Server prevents you from selecting Run Locally from the Scheduling Server Settings dialog.
- Ensure that the Execution Server machine has sufficient space on disk to store a copy of any project you schedule for execution on that Execution Server.
- If you plan to use 'Get Latest from TFS' on scheduled test runs, make sure the Test Studio Execution Service uses a service account with access to log on to the TFS repository.
After successfully installing Test Studio, run the Execution server software:
1. Click Start Menu > All Programs > Telerik > Test Execution 20XX.X > Start Execution Server.
2. In the Windows Task Bar, right click the Test Studio icon and click Show.
3. The Test Studio Test Runner dialog appears. The address for the Scheduling Server that the Execution Server is connected to appears under Scheduling Connection. To change this address, click Change location... under Scheduling Connection.
If there is no Change button, read how to resolve this.
4. Input the address for the Scheduling Service under Scheduling Service URI and click Change to connect to the Scheduling Server: