Thank you for choosing Telerik RadSpreadStreamProcessing!
This article briefly explains the specifics of RadSpreadStreamProcessing - what is spread streaming, how it works compared to the RadSpreadProcessing library and when to use it.
Spread streaming is a document processing paradigm that allows you to create big spreadsheet documents with great performance and minimal memory footprint.
The key for the memory efficiency is that the spread streaming library writes the spreadsheet content directly to a stream without creating and preserving the spreadsheet document model in memory. Each time an exporter object is disposed, the set values are written into the stream. This allows you to create large documents with an excellent performance.
Some of the features you can take advantage of are:
- Export to XLSX or CSV files
- Writing directly into a stream
- Append new worksheets to existing ones
- Styling and formatting cells
- Hidden rows and columns
- Freezing panes
There are two main differences between the libraries.
- RadSpreadStreamProcessing can be used only to create documents and append data to existing ones. On the other hand you can use the RadSpreadProcessing also for reading and modifying the content of documents.
- RadSpreadStreamProcessing writes directly into a stream, unlike RadSpreadProcessing which creates models for the elements in the document. This is why the memory used with the spread streaming library is significantly lower than when using RadSpreadProcessing.
You can use the spread stream processing to create and export large amount of data with a low memory footprint and great performance. You can also append data to already existing document stream.