Progress Sass Theme Builder for UI for ASP.NET MVC is an Angular web application that enables you to create new or customize existing themes.
The tool renders the same look and feel as the look and feel of all other components in the suite. It also delivers full control over the skin elements of each component and automatically updates its composite units. After you create the skin and achieve the desired look of the theme, the Sass Theme Builder enables you to download and integrate it in your project.
Figure 1: A preview of the Sass Theme Builder
To create a new theme:
- On the initial Sass Theme Builder pane, select the Start Theming option.
Choose one of the existing skins to use as a base. The currently available built-in skins are Default, Bootsrap, and Material.
Scroll down and select the components you want to customize.
(Optional) After the initial selection, add or remove elements for customization.
To deliver the full set of their functionalities, some Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC components, such as the Grid, have composite structures and include child components. In such cases, the Theme Builder automatically applies the theme modification to the child components and you do not need to customize each of them separately. It will also include their styles in the final CSS bundle.
The Sass Theme Builder supports the following options for customization:
- Color pickers which customize the appearance of the components.
- The Apply changes instantly option which enables you to observe the changes on the fly.
- Manual updates of each component element.
- Utilization of predefined color swatches.
To customize an existing theme, use the following Sass Theme Builder features:
- Color swatches—Contains predefined color palettes that you can apply to all components in your application.
- Default—Provides the applicable color customization options.
- Selected Components—List of components to include in the preview and the final CSS bundle.
- Download—Downloads the archive that holds the generated style files after the customization completes. When you click the button, a dialog appears and prompts you to name your theme.
Figure 3: Available options for customization
To upload an existing theme you have previously created:
- On the initial Sass Theme Builder pane, select Import Theme.
- Upload the
variables.scssfile which contains your current modifications of the customized theme. As a result, the selected components and styling elements load.
- Start customizing your theme.
Figure 4: Importing themes for customization
When you complete the modifications and the theme is ready to be used:
- Download the theme as a compact archive by clicking the Download button.
- Copy the downloaded
THEME_NAME.cssfile and paste it in the Content folder of your application.
- Bundle the styles to render them or directly reference the styles in
Layout.cshtml. For more information on CSS bundling in Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC applications, refer to the article on CSS bundling fundamentals.
Reference or bundle only the
THEME_NAME.cssfile because the exported CSS file contains all styles you need.