Test Studio Scheduling allows you to select a test list to execute at a future time, set the date and time for the test run and return later to see the results. The Scheduling Service can schedule the test list to run on remote machines as well.
From your local instance of Test Studio, you can schedule test lists on any machine in your network, including Virtual Machines. If you have to run a number of tests, you can spread the workload between different machines in order to reduce total execution time. All the results will be stored in one centralized location for you to later examine.
Depending on your scheduling scenario, setup will vary. There are two main scenarios: an 'All-in-one' installation (create, schedule and execute tests all on one machine) and a remote execution installation, where the Test Studio Standalone installation, Scheduling Server and test execution are on more than one machine.
1. Install the default configuration (Scheduling and Storage are not selected).
2. Start Test Studio. An icon will appear in your System Tray for the Test Runner process. This process handles test scheduling and scheduled test execution.
3. Open the project that contains the test list you wish to schedule for execution.
4. Click Connect in the Scheduling section of the ribbon bar.
5. In the Scheduling Server Settings dialog, click Run Locally, then OK.
6. Schedule Test List execution in the Test Lists view. Your local machine is selected as the execution machine by default.
7. View Scheduling Results after the scheduled test execution time.
Important: If the All-In-One machine has an active firewall, ensure that the following ports are unblocked: 55555, 8009, and 8030-8039.
Watch a video tutorial on how to setup remote execution.
1. Install the Scheduling Service and Storage Service components in the Customize Installation dialog during Test Studio Installation for the machine or machines that will host these services. These are not selected by default in a Standalone installation.
2. If you wish to use an existing Mongo server for the Storage Service, click MongoDB and provide connection details for the database. For versions older than 2015 R3 refer here.
3. On the Scheduling Server machine, run the Configure as Scheduling Server application and input the address for the Storage Service in the Storage tab.For versions older than 2015 R3 refer here.
4. To configure one or more machines as Execution Servers, run the Start Execution Server application and connect the Execution Server to your Scheduling Server.
5. Open the project that contains the test list you wish to schedule for execution and click Connect in the Scheduling section of the ribbon bar.
6. In the Scheduling Server Settings dialog, click Run Remotely, input the location of your Scheduling Server, then click Connect.
7. Schedule Test List execution in the Test Lists view. Your local machine is selected as the execution machine by default.
8. View Scheduling Results after the scheduled test execution time.
Important: If the machines in your configuration have active firewalls, ensure that the following incoming ports are unblocked on the appropriate machines:
- Scheduling Server: 8009
- Storage Server: 8492
- Execution Machine(s): 55555, 8030-8039 (and sometimes a range of ports from 8040 upward)
This diagram shows the basic remote scheduling configuration.