The Telerik Reporting Data Source Components allow you to connect report items (Report, Table/Crosstab/List and Chart) to different types of data sources such as database or middle-tier business objects, without requiring code.
They are intended to specify declaratively how to retrieve data for Data Items but do not contain any data at all. Their purpose is only to specify the means how to obtain it (e.g. in the case of SqlDataSource - by executing a SQL query against a database, in the case of ObjectDataSource - by invoking a method/property of a custom business object, etc.). You can view the Data Source Components as wrapper for your data that can only read the data and cannot modify it.
Not to be confused with ASP.NET Data source controls!
The Telerik Reporting engine includes data source objects:
- SqlDataSource – Enables you to work with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, OLE DB or ODBC databases.
- CsvDataSource – Enables you to work with CSV data.
- ObjectDataSource - Enables you to work with business objects or other classes and allows you to create reports that display data from the middle-tier.
- EntityDataSource – Enables you to connect to the ADO.NET Entity Framework.
- OpenAccessDataSource - Enables you to connect to Telerik Data Access.
- CubeDataSource – Enables you to retrieve data from an OLAP cube using Microsoft Analysis Services.
- OpenClientDataSource – Enables you to retrieve data from OpenEdge AppServer ABL procedures.
For backwards compatibility reasons Telerik Reporting supports binding directly to IEnumberable/IListSource objects (incl. arrays, collections, DataSet, DataTable, DataView, DbDataAdapter). Instead consider using the ObjectDataSource that can handle this types of data sources.