The Live Traffic is an essential feature of Fiddler Everywhere - it displays a list of web sessions with summary of each session that the Fiddler Everywhere client has captured.
Many operations begin by selecting one or more entries in the Live Traffic and then activating other features.
- To select more than one Sessions, hold the Ctrl (Command on Mac) or Shift keys while clicking on the desired rows.
- Double-click or press Enter (Return on Mac) to activate the default inspectors for a single selected Session.
When the Inspectors are activated, they will automatically decide which Inspector is best suited to display the selected session's request and response.
Certain key information is displayed in the columns of the Live Traffic, including:
- # - An identification number generated by Fiddler Everywhere
- Result - The status code from the response
- Protocol - The protocol (HTTP/HTTPS/FTP) used by the Session
- Host - The hostname and the port of the server to which the request was sent
- URL - The URL path, file, and query string from the request
- Method - The HTTP Method used by the request (GET, POST, etc.)
- Body - The number of bytes in the response body
- Caching - Values from the Response's Expires and Cache-Control headers
- Content-Type The Content-Type header from the response
- Process The local OS process from which the traffic originated
- Comments Field for showing the custom comments added by you (or the author of a shared session).
See a detailed explanation for the values in each column in the View Live Traffic Summary article.
The context menu for the Live Traffic exposes several actions that can be applied for a Session or multiple Sessions.
- To show the context menu, press right-click on Windows (Control + mouse click on Mac).
The context menu option Save provides the means to save selected sessions. The saved sessions will appear in the Sessions (the list to the left of Fiddler Everywhere interface) from where they can be re-opened later, exported, and shared.
- Selected sessions - Saves all selected sessions. Keyboard shortcut: S.
- Unselected sessions - Saves all unselected sessions. Keyboard shortcut: Shift + Cmd + S (Mac) Shift + S (Windows).
- All Sessions - Saves all captured traffic (Keyboard shortcut: S). Keyboard shortcut: Cmd + S (Mac) Ctrl + S (Windows).
All three options will display a save prompt.
Select the sessions, open the context menu, and click on Save option.
Enter your session name and click Save
The saved sessions are immediately loaded in the Sessions list.
Double-click on the saved session to load it in the Live Traffic list.
Alternatively, you can save all captured traffic via the Save button from the toolbar
The context menu option Share enables the sharing of sessions. Before any session is shared, it is saved as an entry in the Sessions list. Then the entry can be shared via email.
- Selected sessions - Saves & shares all selected sessions.
- Unselected sessions - Saves & shares all unselected sessions.
- All Sessions - Saves and shares all captured traffic.
All three options will initially display a save prompt and then a share prompt window.
Select the sessions, open the context menu, and click on Share option.
The selected sessions are being saved. Enter your session name and click Save and proceed
The share screen prompt window appears. Enter valid email and optionally add notes. Once ready, click Share.
Fiddler Everywhere has a quota limit for creating snapshots of sessions. Refer to the FIddler Everywhere plans page for details.
Alternatively, you can share captured traffic via the Share button from the toolbar
Use the Remove context menu options to delete sessions from your Live Traffic list.
- Selected sessions - Removes all selected sessions. Keyboard shortcut: Cmd + Back (Mac), Del (Windows).
- Unselected sessions - Removes all unselected sessions. Keyboard shortcut: Shift + Cmd + Back (Mac), Shift + Del (Windows).
- All Sessions - Removes all captured traffic. Keyboard shortcut: Cmd + X (Mac), Ctrl + X (Windows).
Use the Comment context menu option to add comments for the associated sessions.
Select the sessions, open the context menu, and click on the Comment option. Keyboard shortcut: M.
A Comment dialog appears. Enter the comment and click Ok.
The text is added to the comment field for the selected sessions.
Use the Mark context menu option to apply different colors or to strikeout selected sessions.
Select the sessions, open the context menu, and click on Mark option.
Click on the preferred marking style to apply it.
Use the Replay context menu option to replay previously captured sessions. Keyboard shortcut: R.
Use the Select context menu option to select sessions that are directly related to the currently selected session. The options are to select parent, children, and duplicate sessions.
- Parent request Selects the session that is a parent of the currently selected session. Keyboard shortcut: P
- Children requests Selects the sessions that are children of the currently selected session. Keyboard shortcut: C
- Duplicaterequest Selects the session that is a duplicate to the currently selected session. Keyboard shortcut: D
Use the Copy context menu option to place a session information in the clipboard. The copied information options are:
- URL Provides the session URL. Keyboard shortcut:Cmd + U (Mac), Ctrl + U (Windows)
- FUll Summary Provides verbose session details. Keyboard shortcut: Cmd + C (Mac), Ctrl + C (Windows)
Example for copying URL
Example for copying full info
# RESULT PROTOCOL HOST URL METHOD BODY CACHING CONTENT-TYPE PROCESS COMMENTS 277 200 HTTP 0.0.0.0:4000 /fiddler-everywhere/images/livetraffic/websessions/websessions-list-share-options.png GET 207,094 private, max-age=0, proxy-revalidate, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate image/png; charset=utf-8