A critical requirement for software accessibility is keyboard support as a complete alternative to pointing devices (mouse, etc.). Keyboard support is comprised of command key, focus key, and keyboard navigation. RadNavigation seamlessly switches between mouse and keyboard navigation.
Setting the control's KeyboardNavigationSettings, allows you to associate an activation combination (CommandKey + FocusKey), which moves focus to the Navigation's first node and enables keyboard navigation. When there are multiple RadNavigation controls on a given page, each of them may have a different activation combination.
The KeyboardNavigationSettings exposes two properties to configure the keyboard combination that sets focus to the control:
CommandKey: [Ctrl] , [Alt] or [Shift].
FocusKey: An upper-case letter or number.
Pressing CommandKey + FocusKey sets the focus on the RadNavigation's first node and enables keyboard navigation.
Certain keyboard combinations are reserved and used as shortcuts in the browsers.
<telerik:RadNavigation ID="RadNavigation1" runat="server"> <KeyboardNavigationSettings CommandKey="Alt" FocusKey="M" /> <Nodes> <telerik:NavigationNode Text="Home" > </telerik:NavigationNode> <telerik:NavigationNode Text="Products" > </telerik:NavigationNode> <telerik:NavigationNode Text="About Us" > </telerik:NavigationNode> </Nodes> </telerik:RadNavigation>
- Focus the RadNavigation's first node by pressing [CommandKey] + [FocusKey]:
- Navigate the nodes using Left and Right Arrows keys:
- Expand the submenus using Down and Up Arrows keys:
- Select a focused node and expand its submenu by pressing Enter:
- Select a focused node and expand its submenu by pressing Space bar:
- Close an expanded submenu by pressing Esc: