Before you can send push notifications to a certain vendor, you need to enable it in Telerik Platform and make the necessary settings. Each supported vendor—iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Windows—has its own settings.
For Hybrid apps built using the Apache Cordova framework you need to install and enable the following plugins:
- Telerik Push Notifications for handling the push notifications functionality
- Globalization for handling the current device's locale
- Device for handling the device's platform and identifier
For native apps build using the NativeScript framework you need to install and enable the following plugins:
- Push Plugin for NativeScript for handling the push notifications functionality
You need to log in to the Telerik Platform portal to enable push notifications:
- Open your Telerik Platform app.
- Click the Notifications tab and ensure that the service is enabled.
- Navigate to Push Notifications > Settings.
- Click the check box for the vendor that you want to enable and make the requested settings as explained in the next sections.
- Click Save.
Clicking the iOS check box reveals settings that allow you to upload iOS push certificates. Note that these are server SSL certificates that differ from the certificate used to code-sign an iOS app. The server certificates are needed for establishing a TLS connection to the Apple Push Notifications Service (APNs).
You can choose to upload:
- Production certificate—Required for sending push notification to devices on which a production version or your app has been installed. This must be a .p12 file containing an SSL server certificate.
- Development certificate—Can be used to send push notification to testing devices while developing an app. This must be a .p12 file containing an SSL server certificate.
You will be prompted for a password. Enter one if you supplied a password at the time of exporting the file. Otherwise leave the password field blank.
After uploading a valid certificate you are able to use the Apple Push Notifications Services through Telerik Platform.
More information about how to get a certificate and create a .p12 file can be found in the following resources. Note that you need to be enrolled in the Apple iOS Developer Program.
- Telerik AppBuilder by Progress Blog Post: Let's Get Push Notifications Working In PhoneGap And iOS
- YouTube Video: Push Notifications for iOS with Telerik Platform
Clicking the Android check box reveals a setting that allows you to provide an API key for server applications. Telerik Platform utilizes this key to authenticate before Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) and send notifications on your behalf.
You need to obtain the server key and the corresponding Sender ID (formerly Project Number) using the Firebase console as part of a new or an existing project. See the Credentials section of the Firebase documentation for details.
You need to obtain a Server key. Other key types like Android, iOS, and Browser will not work.
After you have generated the Server key and Sender ID, copy the Server key to Push Settings > Android in your Telerik Platform app. You will need the Sender ID in the app code when subscribing for push notifications.
If you have an existing project in Google APIs Console, we strongly advise to migrate your Google Project to Firebase using the Firebase console. After the migration you should be able to access these tokens in the way explained above.
Microsoft Push Notification Service (MPNS) does not require additional settings. Once you click the Windows Phone check box you are set up to send push notifications to Windows Phone devices.
Note that you are limited to sending 500 push notifications per device per day for this platform.
Clicking the Windows check box reveals settings that allows you to provide Package Security Identifier and Client Secret. These settings are required by Microsoft Push Notification Service.
You can obtain the values by logging in to your Windows Store Dashboard account. For more information refer to the official Microsoft documentation.
The Package SID and Client Secret values that you enter here must match the values for these settings in your Windows Store application (which will consume the notifications).
- Telerik AppBuilder by Progress Documentation: Create and Install Certificate and Provisioning Profile for iOS Development
- Official Apple Documentation: Provisioning and Development
- Introduction to Push Notifications