If Telerik UI for Windows Phone does not appear in the toolbox of your Visual Studio, you can add them manually.
Adding the controls by using the Visual Studio menus
- Run Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2012.
- Open any windows phone project/solution.
- Expand the Toolbox.
- Right-click the Toolbox in the empty area underneath and choose Add Tab to create a new tab.
Name the tab "Telerik UI for Windows Phone".
Right-click in the empty space of the newly created tab and select Choose Items. A dialog will open, which lists all available
controls from the assemblies in the GAC. Make sure that the selected tab is Windows Phone Components and sort the assemblies by name in order to navigate easier to the Telerik assemblies.
At this point you have three possibilities: you see the telerik controls; you see each of them twice or you don't see them at all.
- If you see them only once just select all of them and proceed to the next step.
If you see them twice, most probably this is because you have installed both Telerik UI for Windows Phone 7 and
Telerik UI for Windows Phone 8.
If this is not the case see the Troubleshooting section at the end of the page.
Since the controls for each of the OS versions have the same name, they are difficult to distiguish and it is a good idea to
add the controls for one of the versions only and then repeat the whole procedure to add the controls for the
other version in a new tab.
Sort the controls by Directory and select only these which are in the Telerik UI for Windows Phone 8 folder
(or Telerik UI for Windows Phone 7, depending on what controls you want to add).
If you don't see the telerik assemblies at all, you need to add them manually. To do that, click the "Browse"
button and navigate to the installation folder of Telerik UI for Windows Phone (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for Windows Phone [Version]).
Then go to Binaries -> Windows Phone and select the following assemblies:
Now the Telerik UI for Windows Phone should appear and you can select the controls.
Select all corresponding Telerik Controls and click OK to finish the operation.
- The selected Telerik UI for Windows Phone should appear in the toolbox and you can start using them right away.
Repetitive Telerik UI for Windows Phone entries in the Toolbox
We have identified several occurrences of multiple/duplicated ToolBox items existing in the toolbox of
Visual Studio 2010. Unfortunately these seem to stem from a glitch in Visual Studio,
which was still not reproduced reliably so that we can fix it, or ask Microsoft for a fix.
Below are the different kinds of occurrences and their possible fixes:
Duplicate Toolbox items, remaining two entries per control:
- this could be a result of having parallel Telerik UI for Windows Phone installations, which is the correct behavior
this could be the result of an improper deregistration of an older Telerik UI for Windows Phone distribution, followed by the registration of the newer one. Usually either of the two approaches below helps fixing the problem:
- Close Visual Studio instances, start Windows Explorer, navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0 and delete the *.tbd files
- Right-click the Toolbox inside Visual Studio and click Reset
- Multiple entries per control, number increasing with each start of the IDE: this is the worst scenario we have come across. All the registry entries and files on the customer machine seemed fine in this case. The only fix we were able to apply was a complete uninstall of Telerik UI for Windows Phone and Visual Studio 2010, followed by a clean install of the IDE and the Telerik UI for Windows Phone.