The Call Tree view represents all function calls captured by the profiler. Each snapshot contains the
call tree structure of the profilee captured during the selected time range. The top-level node represents a thread or process and
subsequent nodes represent a method.
Each node of the Call Tree view contains the following information:
- Name - process, thread or method name.
- Own Time (ms) - time spent in this node (excluding children). Percentage is measured against the total running time of the thread.
- Total Time (ms) - total time spent in this call. Percentage is measured against the total running time of the thread.
- Hit Count - number of times this method has been called (for tracing) or number of samples taken inside it (for sampling)
The Merge Threads option is on by default. If it is switched the call trees of all threads are presented
as a single process call tree. The times, hit counts and called functions of identical thread call trees are accumulated and merged.
The Signatures option is used to control whether to display the parameters of each
function in the Name column. You can switch it off to reduce the amount of text on the screen.
The Average Times option is available only when Use tracing profiler has been selected in the profiler options.
It is used to control whether to display average times per call in the Total Time and Own Time columns.
Average values are equal to the actual accumulated values divided by the hit count.
When you right click an item in the call tree, the following context menu shows up:
Double clicking a node expands or collapses it. If the node is a minor
calls group, double clicking will ungroup it.
By clicking the or
icons you can
unfilter or ungroup a node's children.
With the Source-level profiling enabled, JustTrace will show timings and hit counts for all
methods that have source code available.
Selecting a method from the Call Tree will open its source code (if available). Inside the source code viewer,
you can see line-by-line information about:
- Total Time - total time spent in this particular line.
- Average Time - average values are equal to the actual accumulated values divided by the hit count.
To see average times you will need to enable them by clicking on Average Times in the ribbon.
- Hit Count - number of times the line has been called.
Call Tree Navigation
You can use the navigation bar to search for all occurrences of a specified function in the tree.
To show it press Ctrl+F or click the Show Search button in the ribbon.
It contains an autocomplete text box for entering the full name of the searched function and four
buttons for navigation between matches – go to first, go to previous,
go to next and go to last. If the specified function has one or more overloads,
they will consecutively be given as results.
Another way for finding all occurrences of a function is to right click on it in any of the
Call Tree, All Methods List, Caller Tree
or Hot Spots views and choose Find in Root Call Tree
from the context menu.